Lately, one of the things that should not miss a spot on my itinerary whenever I go home to Bicol is to eat my new favorite, yummy dish, sinarapang paksiw. I accomplished this on the third day of my short vacation two weeks ago in our beautiful province, Camarines Sur. Fruedian Salivation Syndrome had entered my system ever since I tasted that paksiw, and my condition actually worsens whenever I am reminded of how rich this small fish is in calcium.
The sinarapan or tabios (Scientific Name: Mistichthys luzonensis) is the world’s smallest commercially harvested fish found only in the Philippines. They are endemic to the Bicol Region, specifically in Lake Buhi–the most beautiful lake I have ever seen), Lake Bato, Bicol River and other bodies of water in Camarines Sur. This particular fish is a type of goby. Another is it looks transparent except for the black eyes and it has an average length of 12.5 millimeters. Males are smaller than females.
I cannot get enough of this fish that I always bring a kilo of it each time I go back to the metropolis. I would prefer to have sinarapan for breakfast rather than drinking one glass of milk for the same.
Today, it is just saddening that sinarapan is already threatened with extinction due to overfishing.
PS: GE X5
- The Halcyon Lake Buhi in Camarine Sur (yobynos.wordpress.com)
- Can’t get enough of Bicol (Part 2) (sorsogoncity.wordpress.com)
- Breakfast on the Pond (vermontloonblog.wordpress.com)
- PNR set to open ‘Bicol Express’ in mid-September (sorsogoncity.wordpress.com)
- You Asked: Same Thing For Breakfast and Lunch Every Day? (fitsugar.com)
- Healthy Eating Tip: Eat Two Different Fish a Week (fitsugar.com)
- Survivor USA in Camarines Sur (rojan88.wordpress.com)
- Top 10 Places I want to visit in the Philippines (sincerelymheg.wordpress.com)
- Bicol’s hidden natural, historical treasures await summer vacationers (sorsogonunited.wordpress.com)
- Tourism alliance eyes 650,000 visitors (sorsogoncity.wordpress.com)
- Going About in Naga City (marlajimenezrances.wordpress.com)